Monday, October 09, 2006

Quiet thoughts

A friend sends me the following lines as "Quiet thoughts", I have heard these lines several times hummed before, this is fascinating.





THE OLD MAN TO THE TREE



The years have wrought a lovely tree; I planted it in sixty-three.

A tender sapling, with my hand, I set it in the fruitful land.

It grew and grew until its shade, a cool retreat in summer made.

T’was here we danced that happy May, the evening of our wedding day.

The joy, the songs, the fiddler’s strain made life a wild rose-scented lane.

The children, on this shady grass, would lie and watch the swallows pass;

While all around them waving high, the windy meadows of July.

Ah she, who loved these honeyed bowers, is twenty years beneath the flowers.

The children too are gone away; oh tree, so beautiful today -

So fresh - so green - and I am grey.



Many people must have shared these thoughts in those quiet moments.



~sent by FP~

No comments: