Friday, April 28, 2023

The ending of "棋艺" (Chess Art)

The Ending Of "棋艺" (Chess Art)



Since yesterday, the Xiangqi community has had a shocking news.

Founded in 1979, the "棋艺" (Chess Art) magazine will face a "suspension of publication" in July this year.

Suddenly in an abrupt way, a very sad farewell and departure.

Perhaps the traditional paper publications are now out of step with modern world after all.

With this year's sudden Covid epidemic, the butterfly effect has spread to all economic and social fields, a straw that kills the camel.

When I was in the fifth grade, there was a kiosk on the way to school that sold snacks and stationery, as well as various bulk magazines and publications. When most of my school friends were immersed in silly jokes, fantasy tales booklets and pirated comics, I had complete different interests, I can play Xiangqi, Pai Jiu, Mahjong, these were popular games among the middle-aged and elderly people, often I would search for "strategies" from publications to improve my competitive strength.

Parents and teachers feel "reliable and safe" about Xiangqi. Probably thinking that Xiangqi has some educational effect, they were willing to let their children to play the game. Mine tacitly allow me to mingle with the "uncles and elders" in the park's Xiangqi stall, I got little pocket money in order to buy Xiangqi publications.

I vaguely remember that "Chess Art" had endgame puzzle at the end of each issue - these endgames were simply hard to solve for me as a teenager. What kind of gods and people can solve these, I asked myself?

The manager mostly turned a blind eye when I took up a magazine, but seeing that I often crumpled the pages, he could not bear it anymore - after an exchange of words, we happily reached an agreement : when I read three or more magazines for free, I should pay at least for one.

The good times of our agreement did not last long, for about a year later, due to the expansion of the road construction, the kiosk was forced to relocate, and I lost the privilege of "free reading of chess magazines".

Because of our frequent house moving, the magazines that I once treasured at home has since scattered and disappeared from my life.

Many Xiangqi fans regard "Chess Art" as a timeless treasure and have a full collection. These chess magazines that grew up with them have finally become historic icons.

The end of "Chess Art" has saddened many Xiangqi fans. In an era of online technology, new move and new variant, within 24 hours, will quickly spread across the country. A certain "layout solution" given by advanced software and hardware will soon be shared on websites, such as Weibo and WeChat groups. It only takes a minute at most to search for the solution of Xiangqi puzzle, there is no need to wait for "Chess Art" to reveal the answer next month.

Just as more Xiangqi fans do not necessarily have to face each other, and the chess pieces need not be physically laid out in order to play a game, people across the world can play against each other simply by pointing the mouse or tapping the screen.

"Chess Art" may disappear, but the spirit and legacy have long been scattered everywhere, like a night sky full of glistening stars.

We said goodbye to "Chess Art", but we can't forget its enlightenment to beginners and masters alike. The advancement of Xiangqi knowledge has been engraved in our minds and condensed in every move we make.


+ + + +

Source : 新浪体育

Dated : 2020年05月14日

~ a XIANGQI EN BLOG translation ~

No comments: